Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Tattoo

Before the tatto


I've never really had any desire to get a tattoo, (well, that incident in Mexico a few years back helped me realize that I probably will never get a tattoo as I'd get bored with it quickly) but I still find the artistic ability needed to be a tattoo artist really cool. That being said, it's been on my bucket list for a while to watch someone get a tattoo.






A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine mentioned that she made an appointment to get a tattoo, and my first question was - can I come with you? I admit, the shop was a bit creepy with the goat heads and tarot cards all over the place, but I was glad I went to watch. I even documented the phases with my camera.





When the needle is going, it sounds a lot like a dentist's drill. Kind of made my teeth hurt to hear that buzzing noise. But she survived the ordeal swimmingly. In case you were wondering, it feels like someone is dragging a needle through your skin. A bit obvious but some people do wonder. Of course it's more painful over the bone area too. Ironically my friend didn't tear up until after the tattoo was one.






A loved on in her family died last summer. It's been a hard year for her, and she'd been wanting a tattoo for many months in memory of this loved one. She spent a lot of time searching until she found the perfect picture to commemorate her loved one. And this was it. It symbolizes that this loved one is free at last from all the earthly struggles they'd had to bear. I think it is a beautiful representation, and it turned out beautifully.




Some may scoff that tattoos are bad for whatever reason. Obviously getting one on a whim is not the brightest idea and will be regretted eventually if not immediately afterwards. But if it has been contemplated thoughtfully, and has a very deep personal meaning, I think it can be a beautiful tribute.

What are your thoughts?





No comments:

Post a Comment