Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ah Memories . . .


About last April I got a call from my old long time roommate Traci, asking if I was interested in doing a little roommate reunion in California for a few of us who lived together back in the day at Ricks College/ BYU Idaho. Of course I was all for that! It took some doing, but we found a weekend in July to get together. It wasn't until we were there visiting that we realized it had been an entire decade since we were first all together at that little college in Rexburg Idaho. My first thought was "when did I get so old?" followed by, "I don't feel any older now than I did then." Where did the time go?
 
The funny thing is that once we all got back together again, it felt as though nothing had changed. Those are true friends for you right there. Traci and I flew in to San Jose, and were promptly picked up by Hillary who then drove us back to Paso Robles, and toted us around Pismo Beach. It was beautiful, and a bit windy. Afterwards we met up with Tara, and then spent the rest of the evening laughing and talking and looking at pictures from a decade ago. The following day we were able to visit the famous Hearst Castle, which is quite famous for a reason. It's a huge place full of random styles and grand scale architecture. He was crazy to have attempted to build this place, but it is a lot of fun to visit. Great idea Traci, and thank you to Hillary for getting us free tickets!

 After that, we went down the road a little way and wandered around Moonstone Beach. I don't think I have ever been so close to sea lions on a beach before. Not only were they a few rocky jumps away, but we could hear them bellow at us to stay away from their sun bathing. I can't say that I blame them, but it was fun to clamor around. We also went to a fantastic little place and got great beef sandwitches. It's not Texas BBQ, but it's not too shabby I must say. Afterwards we made the treck back to San Jose for one last night of girl chat before Traci flew back to Utah, and I flew back to Texas. It was a fast and whirlwind weekend, but definitely worth it.

So, let's be sentimental for a few moments and rehash some of my favorite roommate moments.

My darling first roommate Tara:

I remember laughing a lot when we were together. Whether it was our occasional movie night in the room down the hall, or going to the Galley for dinner and laughing our heads off on the way home (I remember we got a lot of strange looks from people too and it just made us laugh harder), to jumping on my bed to distract me from homework. You were an answer to my prayer and just the person I needed in my life. Every time I think of you I have to smile and laugh as I remember you and the Dixie Chicks. Fun times.

To my dearest Hillary,

I remember watching that stupid movie Center Stage over and over again until we knew it by heart, and then watching it some more. I don't know what that was about, but everytime I see it I think of you. There was also the fun summer water fights that got you stitches, and the random boys down the way who made that summer so entertaining. That was a great summer.


 To the fabulous Traci:

 I remember waking up to our alarm clocks going off at the same time. I remember going to the movies on 2 for Tuesdays, and free popcorn night. I also remember our matching sweaters and your amazing cooking skills that appeared every now and then. Flash forward a few years and there you were showing up unexpectedly at my apartment in town from Hawaii. Later there were many fun times living together in Utah and our trip to Wisconsin for not only a wedding, but also the demolition derby. Classic!

So ladies, even though I still don't believe that all of this began 10 whole years ago, I'm glad that in my memories it still feels like it was all just yesterday. I can't wait for our little reunion in another five years and I think it will be just as fun as before. I love you girls!

1 comment:

  1. Mel I love it! That was such I great trip to California, and yes, definitely worth it. I love you girls! Yeah, I remember leaving class early one Tuesday because I was "sick" (I really wasn't feeling well at class, but then for some reason I was fine by the time I got home) and then we decided to go see "Behind Enemy Lines" at the cheap theater. Also, don't forget the time we decorated our apartment in a very classy way at Northwoods. Good times! Love you!

    ReplyDelete