

This year I'm really going all out with the garden. I've discovered the soil sure adds up a lot when you have to buy it all. Luckily the wood was all free, it was just a matter of cutting and nailing it all together. Last summer was my first stab at things, with strawberries and tomatoes. Both went fairly well, so come fall I made 2 attempts at lettuce. The first attempt ended with very bitter and inedible lettuce. However this second attempt has gone really well and I've gotten a few small salads out of it. Yay. I also made the attempt with broccoli and snap peas. Out of the 10 broccoli plants, 2 are finally starting to produce a bit. And they were a lot bigger of a plant than I anticipated, and the broccoli heads are much smaller than the grocery store, but it's fun to watch them grow. The snap peas. Well, some have flowered. the bottom parts of the plants are yellowed and I think have some root rot, but I'm not sure. No idea if I'll get anything out of them or not. Results on attempt 1 still pending.

My strawberries have taken over. They started out in pots, but quickly outgrew and reached into any other places they could find to grow. So I moved them into a raised bed over the summer, and they have spread amazingly. Hopefully they get through the winter and I have a good plant for next year. They basically get this entire bed. I did add in a blackberry bush as I'm told they grow well with the strawberries. I do plan to get one more blackberry plant. I would love to do raspberries (they're my favorite), but Texas is not a great place for them. Because it doesn't get cold enough, they can be hit or miss on surviving and producing. So sad. I also have garlic in a pot that so far is happy.

The other beds are ready for planting. This last weekend I planted carrots, lettuce, spinach, and more snap peas. My yellow onions are doing ok I think as well. Handy tip with onion that works - I saved the root tips of my yellow onions I got from the grocery store. I then used toothpicks to have them sit at the top of a cup, and filled it with water so just the root tip was sitting in it. After a week or two, a few long white root shoots appeared in the water. Once that happened, I put it in a container covering the whole onion, and placed it in a sunny window. a week or two later I had a sprout coming up.

Once it got big I planted it outside. We'll see how they turn out. But I'm impressed to know it's a handy little trick that actually works.
No comments:
Post a Comment