Right after returning from Janine's wedding at the end of January, I noticed my car was acting a little stranger than normal. I knew I would have to get it into the mechanic soon. Then I left work on Monday, and my car decided it didn't want to accelerate. At all. So I drove it straight to the mechanic, had a friend chauffer me to a rental car agency, and I anxiously awaited the test results of my car.
The worst had happened. The cost to fix my car was going to be about 3 times what the car was worth. It was time to say goodbye to my little SUV that I've loved. 7 years I've had that car.
With a very short timeframe, I jumped into action and went car shopping. I figured out what I wanted, then called all the dealerships, asking what the best deal was they could give me. I put them against each other, and let them bid it out until no one would match the lowest offer. Considering I've never gone car shopping, or even had a car payment, I think I got the best deal I could under the circumstances. When you have 2 days to find a new car, there's no time to waste. So I ended up in a Honda Fit. It felt like I was driving a rental car for a while. I've never had a new car before. Once I got my license plates on it, it began to feel more like my own. It's a great little car, and I'm really enjoying having it. I do miss the height I got in the SUV, but I really like the price I pay for gas in this one. I expect this one to last a very long time. For now I've named it Darby. Sometimes I call it Mycroft though. I can't decide between the two yet. And it had a total of 14.1 miles when I drove off in it. Crazy!!!
Now that I've bought a car for the first time in my life, it's like I'm a real grown up. Because buying a house apparently didn't have that effect.

No comments:
Post a Comment