Tuesday, April 12, 2016

South X South West - Austin's Music Festival

Every year, around spring break, Austin hosts one of the biggest week long music events in the country. It's massive, and insane. Start up bands, to big bands, to famous celebrities, all come out to attend. While buying passes for this music festive is on the very pricey spectrum, the week is also full of free concerts hidden around town. The trick is, you have to do your research, and plan to stand in line.

Needless to say, I've never attended any SXSW music events. I'm usually working, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars and fight thousands of people either. And I don't have the patience to do my research and discover where these free events are happening.

A friend of mine decided she wanted to check out one of these venues. Apparently Rachel Ray hosts a free music event in Austin every year. This was year number 8 of her doing it, and the first time I've ever heard about it. The music event went from 10 -4 on a Saturday. Essentially anyone could attend until the venue reached it's max capacity, then you had to stand outside in line until people left so you could get in. Free food, free bands, might as well try it. We anticipated having to wait in line. So we lined up at 7am. We were behind a few hundred people already.

After freezing in the morning cold, we were still able to get in right away. We enjoyed some free food (frito pie, chicken wings, corn, pork sliders) and listened to some bands. Sadly, I didn't recognize anyone playing. It was still fun though.
By about 2pm, we decided we were about done. The venue had no seating to accommodate the mass crowd. After standing up for a solid 7 hours, it was time to call it a day. I'm glad I went and got to experience a little piece of the festival, but I probably won't do this particular event again. Unless of course they have a band I know and love.

Turns out I'll jump through a lot of hoops for free food. And a T-shirt. I'm all about the t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment