
*
Austin, Texas, has one of the largest congregations of Mexican bats in the world. During the summer months they migrate here and set up their summer homes beneath Congress Bridge downtown. There are millions of these bats that live there. In the evenings you can go down to the bridge and watch them take off for the night around sunset. We like the bats as they eat the bugs. Texas has a lot of bugs. By the time August hits, the bat population is at its highest.

Ever year Austin has what is called Batfest. They completely shut down this bridge from traffic, set up vendors, food stations, and get live music to play long into the evening. Admission this year was $10. While I normally refuse to pay for something I can do for free, one of my favorite groups was playing and I had to go see them. So I braved the heat with some friends and away we went. Once the sun went down the weather was much more bearable, though still hot. I think it was about 95 degrees at 10pm. And the view was pretty great as well.*

Saints of Valory is a local band here that is just starting to make waves in the music world. They are mostly unheard of at this point, but they do have a great sound. I had originally planned on just going to listen, but while playing they announced they would be signing autographs at one of the tents afterwards. I had to take advantage of that. I've never met a band that I was really into.
While I didn't have enough cash to buy an overly priced t-shirt, I did buy a CD so I could have something for them to sign. The line wasn't very long, most people don't really know of them, so I got to chat with them for a few minutes. They were super nice and seem pretty down to earth. Then of course I had to get my picture taken with them. I had forgotten to bring my camera along, but a friend of mine used her phone to snap about 20 pictures of me with them. I owe her one.I was even able to keep myself calm and collecting, though on the inside I was screaming and jumping up and down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yen2WxS9lZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCFcIVVOEek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHONUsR9mtE
I decided that this was my probably the best opportunity I would ever have to meet them, and I couldn't let that pass me by. Needless to say the rest of the evening passed in a bit of a high for me. I'm still a bit giddy over the whole experience, and my crush on them has only increased. Best. Night.



No comments:
Post a Comment