Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lyme Park (aka Pemberly)


About a month before leaving on this trip to England I randomly, and I've no idea how this popped into my head, decided to google the estate used in Pride and Prejudice as "Pemberly." Why not see what part of the country it was filmed at? It's an amazing estate in the movie after all. As a rental car would be needed to drive from London to the Lake District, I figured I might as well take advantage of that freedom as much as possible. Turns out the estate used in the movie, Lyme Park, was only about an hour drive out of the way. Hmmm.

While I honestly did not intend my week in England to become a fanatical Jane Austen touring trip, it had kind of already become that subconsciously. And here I am, going all the way to England, and "Pemberly" is only an hour out of my way. Would I regret it if I didn't stop in to see it? Absolutely! My fate was sealed and      Pemberly was visited. Even though it is a real place, after watching the movie so many times it felt surreal to be there at last. I kept expecting the carriage and Mr. Darcy to come walking down to the house. Sadly he was not there. And yes, I'm a nerd. I don't deny it but have finally begun to embrace it.


The house is open to view (for a fee of course) on certain days and certain times during the week as the family still does live there. It's a mile drive from the gate entrance to the actual house, where you drive through green lawns and trees.



 There is also a whole set of acreage that I didn't have time to explore, that looked to be a lot of hiking trails. The place it fairly massive, so if you're ever in the area I recommend spending a good chunk of the day there instead of the quick hour I had. Sadly I was there on a day when the house was not open for touring, but I was able to see the grounds. A-MAZ-ING.


  This is one of my favorite pictures! It was a total accident too. I've blown it up to hang in my house.





                                   It really is a house perfectly situated in it's surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment