Monday, March 1, 2010

Ah, Snow

Last week it did something in Austin that I never thought was possible; it snowed. Actual real, fluffy, white flakes that covered the ground with a beautiful white blanket. Ironically, of all the places I've lived, the biggest snowflakes I have ever seen were during this little Austin snow storm. It looked as though someone was throwing white cotton balls out of the sky. Even in this, Texas has lived up to it's advertisement of how everything is bigger in Texas.
I sat there watching the snow flurries come down from my boss's window on the fourth floor wishing I had a camera. Not only was it snowing, but all the adults had turned into children. They were making snow balls, twirling, leaping, trying to catch flakes on their tongues, taking pictures, and even attempting a snow angel. Around noon, my agency closed and sent all 3000 employees home for the afternoon. Schools were closing, and people were worried about the road conditions. It wasn't panic, but it was a race to get out of the parking garage and home before the snow flurries got worse for these Austinites. I got home to find my husband making snow balls and trying to attack me from around the corner of the house. Lucky for me I'm pretty spry, and he missed on all occasions. Of course we too played, took pictures, and then went inside to warm up. After this blizzard of a storm, the final snowfall for Austin was around 1inch. That's right. All this chaos and excitement for 1 inch of snow, which was completely melted by the next morning. It was fun while it lasted, and my husband got creative with a camera and a stuffed bear.
In the meantime, I've discovered that I miss real snow storms more than ever. I've always liked snow, especially watching it come down from the comfort of a warm living room. But the last few months I realized how much I miss the winter season. Yes, snow does get old when it's piled high all around you, frozen to your car, and preventing a whole lot of outdoor activity. Yet being forever in a warmer climate, I miss seeing the seasons slowly morph from the cold dreary wasteland into the spring buds, and onto the summer blooms. I feel somewhat cheated in not getting four seasons these past 2 years. I miss seeing the snow piled in the mountains, and the summers in the canyons. I hope someday I can get back to a place where you can feel the year change.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment