Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Joy of Painting

Things have finally come to a plateau with the new year. I'm not complaining, but I've discovered I have a few extra hours in the day for a hobby. It's been so long since I've had time for a hobby, that I've forgotten what hobbies I have.
I tried to get back into reading, but that died quickly as I can't seem to find a good book to get myself into. Then I decided I wanted to run a marathon again. That lasted about 2 weeks. I also discovered that I don't have the drive, discipline, or mental attitude to do one right now. More than that it's shear laziness that prevents me from training. Traveling is out as I am now married and money is more budgeted. That and the fact that my husband is terrified to let me out of the country. Really, I shot myself in the foot with that one by making him watch TAKEN with Liam Neison, and then getting him hooked on LOST. I know, wasn't the smartest move to make.
I've tried scrapbooking . . . . . just not my thing. I've thought about photography . . . . I have a crappy camera and can't afford a new one. Next it was cooking/ baking . . . . but my husband doesn't like the fatty sweet foods I enjoy making, so in the end it's me eating a pan of mooncake along with fried chicken and butter covered dinner rolls. (If you don't know what mooncake is you are MISSING out! It's like a glorified cream puff, only better). Obviously I had to break that hobby real quick. Can't make blankets or clothes as I have no sewing machine and my wrist hurts after so long of crocheting. Piano, well, it's a mood thing for me. What's left to pick up as a hobby that doesn't cost money, or is really really cheap???

So I decided to get back into drawing. I have all the materials, mostly gifts from Christmas two years ago, but just haven't done anything with them for a long time. My mom gave me a drawing book on trees, so I got hooked on learning to draw weeping willows, and maple trees. I forgot how fun that can be, though I'm quite "out of shape ," so to speak, as it's been so long.

And then, it happened. The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. If you don't know who he is, you've not had a childhood. He's the white guy with the big afro painting the landscape scenes while making comments like "happy little trees" and my favorite "no mistakes, just happy accidents." I remember watching him on PBS when I was a kid and I loved him! He made everything look so easy in such a soothing, quiet, amazing sort of way. If he can do it, anyone can do it, right? If only it was as easy as it looked. While I was rummagin through artistic pictures on the internet, I came across his paintings and it brought back memories. Then I went to Hobby Lobby and saw a DVD of his on sale along with 50% off on canvasas. It was a sign.

So I bought those 50% off canvases, found my old cheapo acrylic walmart paints, my paintings from years ago, and have started painting again. It's become quite theraputic, though I'm realizing that it would be much easier to use real oil paints and actual professional paint brushes. Maybe someday I can upgrade to that, but the big dream is to actually take a painting class to learn what I"m doing. In the meantime, I don't think I'm too shabby for someone who's never taken an art class. Would be even cooler if I could sell this stuff . . . . .


     My first real painting 4 years ago. The sky has always been my favorite.




          My favorite door in Bagnacavallo Italy. This was also 4 years ago.




       A beautiful waterfall picture I found. Painted about 3 years ago.


                                      
                  This one was started 2 years, and finished very recently.




               This is my most recent painting as of a few weeks ago.


6 comments:

  1. Wow mel! Good for you. I love Bob Ross. Your paintings are great. I knew you drew, but I didn't know you painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you did either one, and I'm blown away. Amazing talent Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome Mel!! They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I knew you -- but I truly had no idea that you had this talent. It's amazing. These are beautiful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob Ross is the Chuck Norris of painting.

    ReplyDelete