Friday, September 23, 2016

Um . . . I think I Lost My Mind. Or I am the Coolest Person Ever!

For some odd reason, I decided I need to up the difficulty factor in my life goals. I did that by deciding to make the goal of running 5 international marathons. I don't remember my reasoning behind it, but it's stuck with me. So far, I've completed 2 out of 5. Rome Italy, and Loch Ness in Scotland. Both were very unique and amazing experiences.

Now it's time for race number 3. After suffering a minor hiccup this summer with breaking my wrist and having surgery, race number 3 in 2016 had to be postponed to 2017. This next one may kill me on more than one level.

I somehow stumble across the Big 5 marathon ( http://big-five-marathon.com/race-info) while I was searching for other international races that looked interesting. This race is done on an animal sanctuary in South Africa. So, the marathon is running through the African landscape. And there's no barrier between you and the animals.

Yeah. Just people along the course to help keep you safe should you need it.

To do to this marathon, you have to sign up for an entire tour package. As much as I hate the restrictions of tour packages, I'm not going to attempt to backpack my way through South Africa. Europe, no problem. Part of that package includes a few days of African Safari tours to see the wild animals, as well as lodging and food. I've always wanted to go on an African Safari. Might as well throw in a marathon as well, right?

It sounded appealing, and then I saw pictures.


Done.

The terrain, killer. Major inclines and descents, tricky running surfaces, scorching sun, and of course lots of wild animals. If this life endangering situation doesn't encourage me to run, nothing will.

In the end, I anticipate it to be a life changing experience on many levels. So June of 2017, here I come.


No comments:

Post a Comment