Saturday, August 10, 2013

Ideas for the Foodies

Summer is flying by so quickly I'm not sure where it's going. Despite the heat, I've still managed to have a little fun. Of course that mostly involves staying out of the heat as much as possible.

About two weeks ago a good friend of mine came into town for a work conference, and I got to see him for a few days. It was wonderful! I've known him since those awkward middle school days we've all tried to forget and erase from our memories. It was a crazy but fun week.

As usually happens when we get together, we laugh. And laugh. And laugh some more. The wonderful deep, side stitching - aching laughs that leave your stomach exhausted and your eyes watering. Everyone should have a friend like that. Apart from laughing, and driving around Austin getting lost downtown, we ate out. So the rest of this is basically my food review of some non-chain restaurants in the Austin area. If you are a foodie, you will not be disappointed.

The first restaurant we went to was The Blue Dahlia Bistro. This is a fabulous little French style restaurant off of 11th street east of I-35. They have the chocolate croissants, my delectable and habit forming macarrons (which I fell in love with long before they ever became the trend) classic cheese and breads, along with the usual wonderful French cuisine with salads, bouillabaisses, and meats. They also have a large selection of vegan and organic type food options and some other daring dishes. You will not be disappointed. It's also a bit of a whole in the wall place - you will easily pass by it if you didn't know it was there.

Another stop along our food adventures was the Clay Pit in the downtown Austin area. I'd never been until I went with Dan, but now I think I may need to go there more often. This is an Indian restaurant with a wonderful selection and really good tasting food. I'm always a succor for a tandoori dish and some curry, and I was not disappointed. The last time I had Indian food this good was in London. Need I say more? This is another place where looks are very deceiving. It's much fancier on the inside than it looks on the outside.

The last stop was Zorba's Greek Restaurant in Round Rock off of I-35 and the 45 toll road. The spinocopida (I know I didn't spell that right) was fresh out of the oven and quite tasty. I do love the gyro, so of course that's what I ordered. A wonderful flavored lamb and beef combined with some rice and humus, and of course the flat bread. Oh so yummy. Prices are beyond reasonable and the taste is just fabulous.

My last comment is on a place that I didn't take Dan to, but a place near and dear to my heart that I love. It's called Andiamo's and it's a hole in the wall Italian restaurant. The owner is from Naples, Italy, and this is the real deal Italian food. Fresh pastas, a seasonal menu, and the most amazing bread you could dream of (it's filled with like a spinach type dip and Parmesan cheese in every slice. I dream about it, and I get to go there on Friday. Yay!) It's a very small and quaint venue with some irregular hours so check before you go. This one is off of Rutland and Rundberg. Ironically I was introduced to this restaurant about 5 years ago on a somewhat horrid date. Something good did come out of it after all as 5 years later I'm still going there to eat.

So there are my pics for you foodies out there. If you're in town check it out. If you come to visit me we may stop in at one of these places, or if you just happen to be in the area check them out. You can't go wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Well now I need to come visit and we must go grt some if that spinach dip bread. Yum!

    ReplyDelete