Anyone who really knows me knows that I love books. And I can read books like there's no tomorrow. Lately I've really gotten into some young adult novels. They are a bit like brain candy and I love it. I have a close friend who is also into young adult novels and knows what's out long before I do. We have almost the same taste in books, so it's great - she gives me a stack of books to read and I usually love them. So here is what I've been reading lately. Since everyone has different comfort levels when it comes to book content, I will give you my opinion. You may be offended, you may think I'm far too conservative, but that's the great thing about books - it's subjective. Yes, some of these are kind of trashy, but I tend to skip over those parts if the story is really good.
Here they are in no specific order. By the way, I'm not going to tell you what they're about. You're just going to have to look them up to get a synopsis. :) But they do all have, of course, great love stories with strong heroes and heroines.
1. Beautiful Creatures Series (Beautiful Creatures; Beautiful Darkness; Beautiful Chaos; Beautiful Redemption - by Garcia/ Stohl)
-- I love this series. I think it's fresh original, and I love that it's all written from the boy's perspective. I haven't read the final book as I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good fantasy novel. There may be a swear word here and there, but it's pretty fabulous. It takes place in the south and is about witches, incubuses, magic, high school, etc.
2. Hush Hush Series ( Hush Hush, Crescendo, Silenced, Finale - by Becca Fitzpatrick )
-- Another series I just fell in love with. It's got a bit of language in it, for those of you sensitive to that, but again I loved it. It's a great story line and felt really original. I've re-read this series more than once. It has to do with Fallen Angels, mortals, and those in between.
3. Unearthly Series ( Unearthly, Hallowed, Boundless - by Cynthia Hand )
-- Love this one! Very clean and very beautiful story. Again, on this one I'm waiting for the last book to come out in paperback so I can buy it. Read this series a few times too. It also has to do with Angels and Part Angels, and mortals.
4. Graceling series (Graceling, Fire, Butterblue - by Kristin Cashore)
--- Another great series I enjoyed. A bit of language, and some of the sexual stuff, but a great story and felt original. Read these a few times, though I have not read Butterblue yet. This is a fantasy - magic and people with extra special qualities.
5. Grave Mercy - by Lafever
-- This is the first book in a series. So far I've just read this first one, but am loving it so far. It does remind me a bit of the Graceling style of writing and genre, so if you like that series you will like this one too.
6. Poison Study (there's 3 books in this series and I can't remember who it's by)
-- I've heard mixed reviews on this one, but I really liked it. The first book is probably my favorite, but I did enjoy the other two. I can't remember if there's language in these or not.
7. City of Bones ( City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels - by Cassandra Clare)
--- I really liked this one. It's a fun read and I enjoyed the first 3. The 4th I had to trudge through a bit and wasn't my favorite. This one has language and sexual themes for those watching out for it. This is a classic battling crazy monsters from another dimension type book.
8. Clockwork Angel Series (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, Clockwork Princess - by Cassandra Clare)
-- I loved the first book! (Haven't yet acquired the other two to read). This is a prequel series to the City of Bones. The characters have similar personalities, but I think I liked this one better than City of Bones. It also has less language and so far no sexual stuff that I can really remember.
9. The Book Thief - by Zusak
-- Fabulous story. Takes place during the Holocaust. A little bit of language, and the topic is obviously a bit sad, but beautiful. Definitely a great read.
10. Edenbrook - by Donaldson
-- LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! This is like a Jane Austen romance type novel. If you like her, you'll love this. I read it twice in the same day. LOVED IT! Cute, sweet, fast, lighthearted, perfect English romance type story.
11. Hex Hall Series ( Hex Hall, Demon Glass, can't remember the 3rd one- by Hawkins)
-- Really fun series. Lot's of sarcastic wit and cleverly done. Some language. Just a fun story to get lost in. Has demons, witches, vampires, werewolves, etc. Fun read.
12. 13 Reasons Why - by Jay Asher
-- This is a hard book. It's about a teenage girl who commits suicide, and leaves behind tape recordings talking about the 13 reasons why she killed herself. It's heartbreaking and hits close to home with how real it is in this day and age. I found it very thought provoking. I liked the story, sad and tragic as it was. It's certainly not something to read over and over again because of it's serious topic, and it's not for everyone. It's not a happy story. But it's beautifully written.
13. Divergent series ( Divergent, Insurgent - by Rossi)
-- Like this series a lot. Dystopian society plot-line that stays fast paced. Great story to get into to.
14. Born at Midnight Series (Born at Midnight, Awaken at Dawn, Taken at Dusk, Whispers at Moonrise, Chosen at Nightfall - by C.C. Hunter)
-- In all honesty, I have no idea why I liked this series. If you asked me to explain what it's about, I'd feel like an idiot trying to describe the plot line. For some reason the writing style and the story just struck a cord with me and I really loved this series. This one I was counting down the days until it came out. This has lots of language in it, and the whole coming of age sexual stuff. Fantasy - vampires, werewolves, witches, faeries, etc.
15. If I Stay & Where She Went by Gayle Foreman
-- I loved this story. I loved the premise behind it and the ideas it evokes. Definitely lots of language and some sexual stuff. I think more than anything I love the story - a girl is in a car accident and has the choice to stay or allow herself to die. The sequel then goes into what her choice was - Where She Went. Not really a fantasy story though, more of just a fiction.
16. Just One Day - by Gayle Foreman
-- If you like If I Stay, you will like this one too. Same feel. Great read. Some language and sexual stuff, bit not as much as #15. May want to check this one out first and if you like it read #15. This is not a fantasy, just a fiction story.
17. Paranormalcy - by Kristin White.
- There's three in this series and I've read the first two. Great series! Easy read and fun premise. Has mermaids, faeries, vampires, etc.
18. Bloodlines - by Mead
-- This is the same author who wrote Vampire Academy series I think. Bloodlines is her knew series, if I've read that correctly. I haven't read Vampire Academy, and so far just this one book, but I really like it. It is of course along the fantasy realm, but great characters and intriguing ideas. I plan to read the rest of the series and then dive in to Vampire Academy. Great writer.
19. - The Truth About Sparrows - Hale
-- Beautiful story about a young girl during the depression. Quick read and would recommend this to any reader. This same author wrote Princess Academy, which is a cute story too.
20. Girl of Fire and Thorns - by ???
-- LOVED this story! There's a sequel, can't remember the name of it, and I believe eventually a third one will come out. Just fabulously done. Great story and characters too. Captivating.
So here is just a snippet of what worlds I've been diving into. There's lots more series that I've read but can't remember the name of. When I find them again I'll be sure to add them along. In the meantime, happy reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment