Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Hobbies

Well well well. Another year has come and I've realized that I have no major goals. Usually my plan is to leave the country. On top of that, there are usually a few trips state side for family events, friends, visits, etc. This year however there seems to be nothing planned which feels quite strange. I'm sure that a trip or two will come up as the year progresses, but at this point in time there is nothing officially planned for the year. Very strange. The only problem is what do I do with this new found time and energy? Gardening.

Since we rent, a big garden isn't necessarily an option and I've never done any type of gardening before. But last summer I started to think about doing a container garden. It was too late in the year to start one so I put it off until the following spring. Now that far away spring time isn't so far away. Now is the time to start. I researched some methods, bought the soil, and have dived right into my first ever attempt at gardening. Not only that, but I'm trying to sprout my own seeds. Why is it I never do the easy route?

The long term investment would be fruit trees. Yes, I am aware that it will take about 10 years from now before we would ever get any return on our investment. But what have I got to lose? We've saved all our seeds from our grocery store fruit buys and we'll see how it goes. So far I've seen nothing from the peach seeds, but they are sitting in the window ready at anytime I'm sure. The avocado pit is balanced in it's water cup also waiting to sprout. The apple seeds have sprouted and recently moved to an actual potted plant while plumb pits, and apricot seeds are germinating in the fridge and will be checked on in about a month from now. I attempted a mango seed, but it was bad to begin with and just grew mold instead of sprouts.

Then I did tomato seeds and placed them in our kitchen window. They sounded easy enough to grow so I gave it a shot. The next day a long cold front passed through which is not ideal for tomatoes from what I read. So to save them I put them on top of the fridge (that's what the internet said to do) to keep them warm, though the lighting isn't perfect. My husband thought I was a little nuts to do that and I sustained a bit of harassing for it. After two weeks of seeing no hope of growth my husband let out a squeal of surprise. The tomato seeds have sprouted. So far so good.

In another month I plan to plant green beans, cucumbers, and potatoes. I think I'll also try parsley, basil and mint. It's kind of exciting and hopefully these so called 'easy' plants will really be easy. If you have any tips I'm welcome to advice. If this year turns out to be successful then next year I can add to the garden variety and experiment with melons and maybe a grape vine or raspberry bush. Though that may be a few years from now.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you are planting a garden from scratch! We tried last year with starters and everything died! Hopefully we will do better this year!

    ReplyDelete