Sunday, October 18, 2009

Geckos in the Dark

It's usually dark outside when I head to work at about 6:30am. Occasionally, I will get up early enough to go running before I leave. The first morning I did this after moving into the duplex I had an unexpected surprise and was greeted with some unusual friends. There is a window in the bathroom that looks out from the shower onto the main road (don't worry, it's fogged glass so you can't see out of it and you can't see into it).

I had finished an early run and was in a rush to get a shower before I went to work. I threw back the shower curtain and something moved on the window. Obviously I made a little sqeal and jumped back. On closer look, I saw that there were three geckos suctioned to the outside of the shower window, making sudden movements eating mosquitos. Moving closer, I could see their underbellies and the faint coloring of where their heart was. On top of that, I got a very close look at their little feet. They really do look like those plastic suction things that stick to your car window and are attached to some small, furry stuffed animal.


I assumed this was a one time event of geckos on my window, but I was wrong. Most mornings, or late evenings, I find them perched on the window in the same positions eating my little mosquito friends. They have now become part of my morning ritual. I wish I had a better camera to get up close and personal with these little guys, but you get the idea.

1 comment: