Monday, December 5, 2011

Sleep - The Impossible Dream

It all started on Thursday night when I couldn't sleep. I watched the clock tick by hour by hour. The early morning did get a bit fuzzy between 1 and 3am, so I think that's when I actually rested. But by 6am I gave up and just got ready for work. I went in early thinking I would get a lot accomplished, but it turns out I was finished by 10am with a very long day ahead. Throw in a few work issues from the people who get on my nerves the most, a rainy drizzly winter day, and I was wishing I hadn't left the house. Luckily things died down, it was Friday afternoon, and I left around 1pm thinking I would go home and get some sleep. That didn't happen.

I tried, but I was too wired up and couldn't get my mind to shut off so I could rest. I hate when that happens. In the meantime I thought I would be productive. I went and bought myself some new running shoes, intending to run Saturday morning as usual. I did a little Christmas shopping, and the tired headache came but still no sleep. So I decided to make donuts. Yes, donuts. I can't eat donuts. But I wanted to make them. I had to bring a dessert to a Christmas party that night and thought that would be a nice change from the typical cookies, cakes, etc. Little did I know that it would take about 3 hours. At this point, it's Friday night at 6pm, I'm running on 2 hours of sleep, and Ramon and I are going to a Christmas party in a barn. Yes, that's not a typo - a barn. Only in Texas. The sore throat kicks in here.

The party was fine, the weather was cool, and the barn was fairly clean. Now, when I get tired I get either slap happy giddy, or ridiculous emotional. I was getting on the ridiculous emotional side, so Ramon and I decided I needed to get some sleep. Sigh. Yet again, it evaded me. The good news is this time I think I slept about 4 hours instead of two.

So by 6am Saturday morning, I can't handle tossing in bed anymore and decide to get up. My nose is now running it's own marathon, my throat is unbearable, and its pouring rain. So much for testing out my new running shoes. If it wasn't raining I would have gone. I didn't want to craft, paint, etc., so I turned on Anne of Green Gables and started to cook. I made some homemade wheat bread, chocolate chip cookies, and enchiladas. By noon my kitchen was spotless and filled with the random auroma's of cookies, bread, and enchiladas.

A friend came to keep me company and again I attempted to sleep. She was out like a light as soon as the dvd player pushed play, but I was wide eyed the entire two hours. Super. So we went to Target, then I went home and curled up on my spot at the couch. Nothing. Finally, I feel asleep about 10pm.

So Sunday morning, I move from my bed back out to the living room at 3am. I'm now crying everytime I blow my nose (which is every other breath I take) from the raw redness that is just pain. But at least the sore throat is gone. I watch Pride and Prejudice (the fabulously long Collin Firth version), followed by North and South (no, it's not the Patrick Swaizy Civil War movie. This is a fabulous 4 hour BBC movie). Still wide awake now.

Ramon and I went to church, but I left early thinking no one wanted to be around a sniffle-ing cold, including Ramon, and I would much rather suffer in the comfort of my own pajamas. By now I'm thinking actual real, resting, joyous sleep has got to come my way. Nope. But a nice dry, scratchy cough does. So I do the next logical thing - I make spinach ravioli from scratch. (No idea why, but logic is not usually a factor in dilerium).

Yes, I am exhausted and borderline crazy now. I've got to get some sleep. Ramon has now forgotten that I've not slept well in three days and is . . . not exactly thinking before he speaks. I'm a basketcase with a bright red nose. I finally get to sleep around 11pm when my sneezing has finally stopped. But 2:30am is blaring an obnoxious good morning in my face. Really??

After a hot shower and some chicken noodle soup I do the only thing left to do. It's time for the Lord of the Rings fest. I don't think I'll get to work today, and as soon as Ramon wakes up he'll have to tromp through the rain to get me some sleeping drugs. I hope they work :(

1 comment:

  1. I hope the drugs work too! (Or rather, I hope they worked since this was yesterday). Poor Mel - feel better.

    The main reason I wanted to comment was to say that I love North and South! I love Richard Armitage! LOVE! Glad to see you do too :D

    ReplyDelete