Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Code of the Runners


Once upon a time, I was a runner. Not an amazing or fast runner, but I did train and run a full marathon. I fully admit that there is a lot about running I don't know. However, I did pick up a few survival tips along the way. I won't go into details, but the biggest thing I learned was that you must think positive in order to survive. Your mental attitude is the key to how well, or horrible your runs are. A I was running the marathon, everyone who passed me, including the 70 year old men, all would call out "keep going!" or "great job!" or "your almost there!" as they whizzed by me. Of course I didn't know these professional runners, but hearing their positive encouragement somehow made me push forward just a little more. It was the boost I needed to get to the next stop.

Fast forward 4 years . . . and I'm starting over at square one. Meaning I can run a mile, but not much farther than that. How I achieved that positive mental attitude I once had is a mystery to me at the moment. Knowing that I once ran a marathon, and now I struggle to run two is quite depressing. Yet I continue to perservere.

Last Saturday I went to the Pflugerville lake for a change of scenery in running. The entire loop around the lake is 3 miles. Of course my goal was to run the whole thing, but I was pretty confident I could survive 2 miles with a fight. So I started running, and had to fight through the leg cramps. A professional runner crossed my path - he had the runner gear, shoes, form, and he made running look so effortless. It was obnoxious. Luckily my pride kicked in and I couldn't quit now. After what seemed like hours, but was only minutes, I hit the two mile mark and was still going.

"Only one more mile. I can make it. This is the home stretch."

So I started huffing and puffing through mile 3. As I started, my mental attitude started slipping. Breathing was getting harder, my leg cramps were getting worse, and the end seemed to be much farther than a mile. Just when I was about to give up, the professional runner came across my path again, probably doing his 5th or 6th loop around the lake. As he passed me, over my head phones I heard him say, "Keep going."

For some reason, this stranger's little comment was what I needed to keep going. Now, I wish I could say I made it up the hill, across the bridge, all the way to the end. Well, I did. And it felt REALLY good.

What is it about being a professional runner that makes you aware of this special code? I have a theory. When you are focused mentally and thinking positively, you aren't afraid to reach out and help a stranger. Even if it's only a small comment, they know it makes a big difference. What miracles could happen if everyone, not just professional runners, abode by this code? Can you imagine?

1 comment:

  1. That's how I feel about blogging. Other people's positive feedback keeps me doing it.

    There are differences, though. For example, my blogs have never left me out of breath.

    They have, however, left some people breathless.

    ReplyDelete